Sunday, April 28, 2013

Chickens!

Today, I became a chicken owner!  I am excited, happy, nervous, protective, and ready.  I've probably read every book on chickens, borrowed some magazines from a colleague and fellow chicken owner (hee hee, feels so fun to say that), and I have gone over it in my head for a long time now.  So, when a parent at the school I work at said they had some chickens and a coop they needed a home for, I was very interested.

A lot of what we wanted to do by this time in our home-ownership has been put on hold due to our unfortunate position of one of us being unemployed.  Hopefully that will change soon.  But in the face of our minor hardship (compared to what others endure), we have done well with our set-up for the garden and now the chickens.  We have been able to do a lot with a little and we have benefitted from the help of our friends and neighbors whose unconditional help and support has been key to our success.

Had it not been for my neighbor who also is a chicken owner, the process of moving the chickens and coop would have been quite a lot.  The coop was transported in one piece in the truck as were the chickens, three hens and a rooster, in a special chicken crate.  We lost the roof on the highway when we got up to speed but we stopped to retrieve it and all is well.

On the way home we picked up some chicken feed, oyster shells, and bedding at the Tractor Supply Co. .  Chickens are settled in and Bernard is already crowing!

















No comments:

Post a Comment