Monday, October 14, 2013

Our "Real" Anniversary - From the Female Point of View

Every year this day rolls around and we reminisce about the night we met and our whirlwind of a relationship that came of it.  It's been 8 years.  Today on Facebook I announced our "real" anniversary and there were some inquiries as to how exactly it all went down... from both sides.  Men are from Mars, Women from Venus right?  Well, whatever the case, we both love telling stories of the "old days".  We are going to be some old couple!  So here goes.

I had been in a 5 year relationship that ended abruptly.  My companion, best friend and boyfriend blindsided me into a dark place that I could only stand so long.  I remember thinking to myself the week I met Al, "I have got to move on... this feeling sucks and I'm sick of it".  I remember joking about the kind of man I would find.  You know, tall, dark and handsome with a British accent.  Well, all but the dark part (unless you mean sense of humor).

Along came Friday and a friend of mine invited me to meet up with her at some work dinner/drinks thing.  I said, "ok, but I need to go to the Internet cafe first to check my email, then I'll be over".  INTERNET CAFE?  That doesn't age me AT ALL...  I entered Pivovarsky Klub in Prague, walked down the circular staircase to a large table with about 10 people including this guy who's already shouting at me to sit next to him.  "Ok", I say and I sit as I was told as I wave across the table at my friend.  Back in the day (I know it's cheesy), I could down at least 6 half litres of beer and still be able to walk to the next pub.  Plus, the beer is so fresh and tasty, without giving you all that bloat, that it's hard not to drink it.  Anyway, after quite a bit and lots and lots of conversation Al says to me, "You want to go to Lucerna - we're all heading over?".  I responded with a wit I didn't even know I had, "sure, if you'll pay for my entry".  Of course he says yes.

Lucerna is legendary in it's ability to bring people together with their cheap beer, humongous club, and Friday and Saturday night 80's/90's video party.  So fun!  Anyway, another few pints, a random bottle of wine and some hanging out, it was time to leave.  Al walked me home and on the way we stopped for munchies at a ManniMiniMart where he told me we should get married.  This actually happened a few other times until I finally asked him to stop.  He would always forget that he had asked!

I said goodbye to him without the expectation of ever talking again.  Somehow we then spent many a day and night text-messaging and many a weekend going out, together all the time.  It's been 8 years and we are still happy and still having fun, only now the amount of partying we can do is limited.  It actually got old about 6 months in, when I thought to myself "do I really know this person?  I mean, all we do is go out with our friends and drink!"  Turns out, I actually liked the guy.  3 years after meeting we got married and spent our wedding day in the same pub where we met.   I think I chose wisely.

Now, if only Al will post his side of the story...  this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment