Saturday, June 23, 2012

Nice Neighbors Are Wonderful!

We finally closed on Friday, June 15th (last week) after a long and drawn-out process.  Everyone kept asking if we were excited and I could only think to myself "not until the keys are in my hand and I can relax". The closing happened at 4pm on a Friday so we didn't actually get the keys until Monday afternoon.  Not a big deal and probably just as well because of how drained we felt after it was all said and done.  Last weekend I had the same feeling as the day after I got married.  Hit by a truck, unable to think straight and  exhausted, and with that... relief.  It wasn't even the signing the papers bit, it was just be done with it and move on.

Monday after I finished working I rushed around to get together a little date for Al and I in our new house.  I picked up the keys to the house and went to Barnes and Nobles for a couple of gardening books for Al.  I went by and picked up some Chinese take-out and a six-pack of beer for our "romantic dinner".  All set and ready to pick up Al and he ended up having to work late - like, an hour extra.

We finally arrived at the house and Al says to me "now, don't forget your keys!" (as I did two days earlier), so in seeing him holding my handbag open, I drop the car keys in my purse.  I instinctively locked the car "manually" and we both got out and shut the doors.  What I didn't know was that my handbag was put in the back seat.  Keys, mobiles and our sanity locked inside the car.  We had the house keys and dinner but no beer... yes, NO BEER!!! and no way to really contact anyone.  Well, great.

It must've been our lucky day because our across-the-street neighbors were on their porch.  We walked over introduced ourselves and explained our predicament.  They couldn't have been nicer and more hospitable!  Our neighbor immediately called AAA and ordered a guy to come out.  Unfortunately, it took 2 hours - Fortunately, we met our lovely neighbor and had some time to get to know her!  So, there we were the first night in someone else's "new" home, eating our Chinese on their coffee table, with no beer.  Did I mention we were really looking forward to the beer?  What could have been a disaster turned out ok, and although my little plan didn't work out the way it did in my head, there are worse things that could have happened, right?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, and I know that Al will make sure the "no beer situation" never, ever happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had beer but it was locked in the car. Could've made a great horror movie scene! Thanks and can't wait to have you over ;+)

    ReplyDelete